We’re looking for a baker / chef to lead production at Husk & Honey!
We’re looking for a triple threat to join our team – an efficient production baker, with a flair for new product development and a knack for record-keeping.
Husk & Honey is a dedicated cereals bakery, established in 2017, specialising in award-winning granola. We're based under the railway arches of Spa Terminus in Bermondsey, home to a neighbouring community of incredible independent food brands.
The role consists of three main areas;
- mixing, baking, processing and occasional packing of our established granola blends;
- completion, filing and ownership of kitchen inventory, records and paperwork;
- and input with innovation and development of monthly Limited Edition blends and new cereal products.
A perfect mix of thinking, doing…and paperwork (sorry about that!)
We’re a small, hard-working and very strong team – we’d never hold back from mucking into other roles wherever a helping hand might be needed to keep the company running smoothly – its important that you share this mindset.
We do practically everything in-house from baking downstairs to operations upstairs on the mezzanine and whilst we all bring new ideas into the business all the time, we do expect previous kitchen experience in a professional capacity - you will then receive comprehensive training and support specific to the company.
Husk & Honey is 5 years old and growing fast – we have a ‘product-led’ approach, the product itself is always the priority, hence your role is integral to the team success. We are looking for someone wanting to join the team on a long-term basis rather than a short-term job.
We’re after, ideally, someone –
- With 2+ years in an operational production kitchen / kitchen environment
- Level 2 Food & Hygiene certificate at minimum
- Familiar with all UK Food Health and Safety regulation
- Fluent in English (both spoken and written)
- Detail-orientated and quality-obsessed…
- …but also pragmatic and efficient
- With a passion for and understanding of ingredients, flavour pairings and provenance (we get very nerdy about oats, amongst other things)
- Who wants to commit to a brand and not only drive their own career, but work with the team to grow the business
- With a sense of humour! Sometimes, you just have to laugh
In terms of the detail, the role will entail –
- Production baking core range granola blends and cereals
- Stock-keeping and rotation, records management, inventory control and ordering
- Following established systems and processes, and implementing new ones
- Working with the team towards SALSA accreditation
- Cleaning down the production kitchen at the end of every shift and maintaining an organised environment
- Recipe recording, and filing
- Researching new ingredients and techniques
- Recipe development for granolas and cereals (at least monthly!)
- Occasional packing assistance and its a bonus if you can do customer facing shop / event work on occasion
- Occasional assisted lifting (our oat sacks are 20kg each)
Salary: £10.20 / hour (non-PAYE) for the first month, moving up to £12.70 on PAYE following the probation month.
Perks: Staff lunches, Monmouth Coffee, discount on our products, staff days out and opportunity for development courses supported by the company.
Hours: 10.00am to 3.30pm Monday (Administration day), 9am to 5pm Tuesday, 9am to 5pm Friday, 7am to 1pm Saturday.
Lunches: An unpaid lunch break of up to 40 minutes can be taken during the day at the company lunch times, except on Saturdays when you can take a shorter 20 minute break when it suits!
If this sounds like the role for you, please get in touch with Hedie at email@example.com and cc Christine (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d like to work with us, what would make you good for the role, and details of your previous experience.
We look forward to hearing from you!